So many Americans live with vision impairment problems that lead them to rely on prescription lenses for the clear eyesight that others take for granted. However, once a vision prescription has remained steady for more than a year, there are other alternatives to consider. LASIK is a safe and effective laser vision treatment that consistently provides patients with 20/20 vision or better.
During LASIK surgery, the eye doctors at Ophthalmology Physicians & Surgeons reshape the cornea to eliminate the imperfections that cause nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. This is a reliable procedure that allows patients to drastically reduce or eliminate the need for prescription lenses. Here, we go over the pre-op LASIK instructions that will help our Philadelphia, PA patients get the most out of their LASIK treatment.
In the Weeks Leading Up to LASIK
LASIK surgery is a straightforward procedure that doesn’t involve a lot of preparation. However, there are some steps that patients should take in the weeks leading up to LASIK treatment to ensure that the eyes and body are properly prepared for surgery. Below are some important preparation tips for the last few weeks before LASIK surgery:
- Adjust contact lens use: Patients who use contact lenses will need to cease doing so prior to LASIK surgery. Our doctors will provide specific instructions based on what types of contact lens are used. In general, patients should refrain from wearing contact lens while sleeping for at least three weeks prior to surgery. Hard lenses should be kept out completely for three weeks prior to LASIK, and soft lenses should no longer be used in the week leading up to LASIK.
- Read LASIK materials: We will provide patients with quite a bit of paperwork before LASIK surgery. This will include explicit pre- and post-op instructions, as well as necessary consent forms. It is important to mentally prepare for surgery by reading through this material. If any questions come to mind while going over material, they should be brought up prior to treatment.
- Fill prescriptions: We will prescribe anti-biotic drops to be used the day before LASIK surgery and through the initial recovery period. These should be picked up in advance. We also recommend a lubricating eye drop after LASIK surgery. This should also be purchased in advance, and both types of drops should be brought to the LASIK appointment.
- Make ride arrangements: Patients will be unable to drive themselves home following LASIK treatment, so they will need a ride from a friend or family member. A ride should be arranged well in advance so there is one less thing to worry about as the surgery date approaches.
The Day of Surgery
By taking the following steps on the day of surgery, patients can maximize comfort during treatment and ensure the most successful surgical results:
- Dress comfortably
- Keep the face free of makeup and other cosmetics
- Eat a light meal or snack
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid caffeine
- Use eye drops as prescribed and bring them to the procedure
- Allow plenty of time to drive to the appointment
If you are tired of relying on glasses or contact lenses for clear eyesight, it is time to consider LASIK surgery. Contact us at your earliest convenience to meet with the experienced eye doctors at Ophthalmology Physicians & Surgeons to find out if you are an ideal LASIK candidate.